Manufacturing Execution Systems (MES)
Manufacturing Execution Systems (MES) are systems for production planning and controlling. While leading central planning systems illustrate operational processes usually widthwise, ME-systems are designed to plan and control production processes with attention to detail. Which tasks are mainly in the focal point of such a production management level depends on the production organisation. The process-oriented cut off to the up- and downstream planning levels is of great importance for a successful MES usage.
The order processes that typically derive from the superordinate ERP-system are being concretised for the purpose of production planning and controlling and subsequently passed on to the executing levels, in which the controlling of technical processes as well as the registration of relevant data may take place. Additionally, within the context of industry 4.0, MES serves as an important component to connect processes and resources for a better and faster planning process beyond different planning levels.
In detail, MES covers the following tasks individually or in combination:
- Detailed planning and fine tuning
- Production facilities management
- Material management
- Human resources management
- Data collection
- Performance analysis
- Quality management
- Information management
A main requirement for a successful MES implementation is the definition of objectives within the production area. If necessary, the evaluation of competing target figures should be included in this step. For a MES implementation that is recognised in income, it is further important to have data and a synchronisation of company processes that are of high quality.
The competence centre MES provides its experience, methods and tools for all questions related to the topic of production management. Our specialists support you with the following taks:
- Formulation of the fundamental planning aims
- Import and analysis of the relevant order processes, determination of the relevant data quality, evaluation of the existing planning systems
- Consultancy during the MES selection process
- Technical concept (strategic, professional, technical and organisational requirements)
- Classification and entire conception in line with new technologies regarding the topic ‘industry 4.0’
- Specification sheet, market research and tenders
- Proof-of-Concept preparation and realisation
- Comparison of reference customers, final selection
- System specification and contract negotiations
- Support during the implementation